Saturday, November 26, 2011

Reese's Debut Part 2

So I left you at Friday night. I forgot to mention that we had a scheduled ultrasound Friday afternoon to check Reese... make sure she was growing, had enough amniotic fluid and to check my cervical length. Well, we got an ultrasound, but not a nice one like I wanted. It was a quick, "Let's make sure this baby is in the right position" kind of ultrasound. It also didn't help that while the ultrasound tech came in, 4 nurses were trying to find a good vein to draw blood from. Yeah. That was quite the ordeal. A vein was not found after MULTIPLE pokes & prods. That's why I ended up with the pic line.

Anyway, back to the ultrasound. Reese was head down, but face up. When I asked if that made a difference in delivery she said that it would just be a little more difficult. Super. But, there was still time for her to turn over, since the goal was to keep her in another week. The tech also estimated her to weigh 4 lbs. 1 oz, give or take a few ounces. Which actually, was a good size for a 32 weeker.

Friday night I was took an Ambien, at the insistence of the nurses and Brian. I hadn't slept since Wednesday night and was exhausted. I thought I would sleep just fine, but when I started thinking about all that I had going on (catheter, compression socks to prevent blood clots, pic line, IV, staying on my side, nurses coming in every 30 minutes to check vitals) I knew I wouldn't sleep. So I took the Ambien.

I was woken up at around 6:00 am by the nurse to give me my Thyroid medication. I was still dozing when I felt a contraction. Pretty strong and intense. 10 minutes later, another contraction. 10 minutes after that a 3rd contraction. My nurse told me I should only have 3 mild contractions an HOUR. I mentioned it the nurse when she came in. She checked the contraction machine and said, "Oh yeah. They're pretty strong huh? Let's go ahead and check you." "Checking" was something the nurses and doctors didn't want to do because they didn't want to risk infection or "activate" labor. By the time the nurse came back 15 minutes later, I must have had at least 3 more contractions.

She did her check. "3 cm dialated and 100% effaced. This is going to go quick." It was 6:30 am. Brian immediately says, "She wants the epidural." Yup. I wanted the epidural ASAP! Nurse went out to get things moving along. While she was gone, I had Brian bring me my makeup & toiletry bag. I washed my face, brushed my teeth, put on my face. Girl has to look good when meeting her new daughter.

Fresh face! Last few minutes of being pregnant and a family of 3.

The next hour and a half was a blur. I can hardly remember what happened. I got the epidural, which didn't hurt as much as I remember Jaxon's hurting. The doctor came in checked me again. I was 8 cm dialated at this point. Brian says that I could have started pushing sooner, but the doctor was waiting for the neonatologist and NICU nurses to come in. Once they arrived it was show time. Brian says I pushed for less than 5 minutes and Reese was here! Seriously, so fast. The girl was ready to meet her Mama & Daddy. Unlike with Jaxon, they actually put Reese on me right away. I didn't see Jaxon for at least half an hour after he was born. The one clear thing I remember was that when the doctor asked who wanted to cut the chord, Brian jumped at the chance. "I'll do it!" There wasn't a second of hesitation.

First glimpse of my little girl

Getting cleaned up

Neonatologist, Dr. Richards, showing off Reese

They whisked Reese away to the NICU to check her out. Brian went with them. He came back some time later to let me know she weighed 3 lbs 15 oz and was 16 1/2 inches. She was a tiny little thing. She also did not have to go on oxygen :) YAY!

I think it was a few hours later that I got to go to the NICU to see her. Oh. She was the tiniest little thing I had ever seen!

First time to hold this precious little thing

So sweet

Her feet are long!

Meeting Lola 

The hat was made by my Aunt Wanda

This is my favorite

Meeting Grammy Sue

Meeting Auntie Ami

Auntie Ami made her a sign!

Meeting Auntie Mary

What a nice friend

When the 3 of us got back to my room, a Reese Witherspoon movie was on TV!
I think those were the most exhausting days of my life. I stayed in the hospital until Monday. I was dying to leave. I just wanted to get home to Jaxon, my own bed and my own shower. I was so anxious to leave the hospital that once again I got jipped of the wheelchair ride to the car! Man Alive! I walked my happy little butt out of the hospital for a 2nd time.  Maybe they'll wheel me out when Reese is set free?
So many people asked me if I was ok leaving Reese. I told them I was. No problem. She was in great hands. Well, I'm clearly a late reactioner. (The same thing happened when we got engaged, I didn't cry till 2 days later) Leaving Reese hit me like a ton of bricks Monday night. Poor Brian he didn't know what happened! One minute I was fine the next minute I was crying. I was on the brink of tears for the next few days. I wanted to cry every time I saw her in her incubator. Now I'm just happy to see her and I can't get to her fast enough each time. 

This little girl has stolen my heart.


Ami said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE her!! I can't wait till she's home! Think of the fun we'll have!!

Mom of Twins said...

Hi, Anabelle!

Congratulations to you on the birth of Reese!! Reading your story brings back so many memories of when Julia and Jacob were in the NICU. We are praying for you and Baby Reese and hope she will be able to join you at home. J&J came home on Christmas Eve - BEST Christmas present EVER!!!

Kathy Meindl