Monday, April 13, 2009

Very Quick Thyroid Update

I was just checking a few of my friend's blogs and noticed it had been 2 weeks since I had updated mine! And in my neurotic fashion, I could not got to bed until I updated it. I thought that I would give everyone an update on my thyroidectomy.


I am going into surgery on Monday, April 20 at 7:30 am.
My mom arrives on Saturday, April 18. She will be here until Saturday, May 9. She originally just wanted to be here 2 weeks, but that meant she would go home right before Jaxon's 1st birthday so we thought maybe she should stay a few more days. (I can't believe he will be one in less than a month!!! YIKES!)
I have an appointment scheduled with Dr. Edwards, the endocrinologist, on May 11. This is when he will give me more info on the rest of my treatment. I am expecting that the soonest I will go on the low-iodine diet & hypo thyroid, will be May 12. This means all I can eat is pretty much rabbit food and WINE! for 2 weeks. I am hoping to postpone the diet until Memorial Day weekend because school will be over by then and I would like to finish out the school year.
After those 2 weeks I will send Jax off to Tucson and I will take the radioactive iodine capsule and be in isolation for a week. That should be the end of it! I will be cancer free, God willing! Hopefully by the 4th of July I will be as good as new and maybe 10-15 lbs lighter after only eating veggies for a month :)
To be perfectly honest I am starting to get VERY nervous and scared about having surgery. My biggest fear is that I will be one of those people we have seen on 20/20 who wake up in the middle of surgery and feel every cut, but can't talk. Other than that, I am anxious to start the healing process so that I can say I am a cancer survivor and not a cancer patient. (who ever thought I would be either? Not I!) Do you think they have one of those colored plastic bracelets for Thyroid Cancer? I feel like I can finally get behind one of those. IF they don't have one then I will invent one. Maybe it should be green and glow-in-the-dark (for the radioactive treatment).

Keep those prayers and positive thoughts coming. I truly appreciate it.

6 comments:

Adam and Samantha said...

I hope everything goes well and you are back to normal ASAP!! We will keep you in our prayers!! I'm sure you will not be one of those people who wakes up during the surgery, although that could get you on TV!!

Jen said...

I know it will all go well and please keep us updated. I spoke with Ami on Easter and wanted to see how you're doing. We think of you often and will pray for you. When I had surgery back in December it was the 1st time I had ever been under and I was also nervous. Now that I've gone through it, I can say it's just fine and you won't remeber a thing! You'll get what Dan refers to as "the good stuff" before hand which will totally relax you. We wish you a speady recovery and I can't wait to hear the good news!

Unknown said...

We will continue to pray for you Anabelle!

Nicole said...

Everything will go well! And then not only can you get a bracelet, but also one of those ribbon things to put on your car!
We love and will pray for you!

Bee-Jai said...

I looked it up online and it looks like thyroid cancer ribbon color is purple! You'll look beautiful in a purple bracelet! Isn't purple your favorite color?

Everything is going to be fine. You are a fighter and I'm sure they've caught it soon enough. I know the hardest part of all this will being away from Jax, but you've got to take care of yourself to be there for him, so don't feel guilty about it.

Praying and thinking of you.

Jaymee said...

It will be o.k.!!! You are strong- you teach kinder for goodness sakes! If you can get through that this thing will be a cinch: ) Seriously though we all love you and have been saying lots of prayers. And trust me, once you get some of that "good stuff" it will go by in a flash. Tons of oxox from us all.