Monday, March 30, 2009

The Griswold's Family Vacation

The Pearson's have returned from their week in Puerto Rico! Whew, what a trip it was! I still can't believe some of the things that happened to Brian and me on this trip. The week seemed to fly by. Let's get started!

The trip did not start off on a good note. We left on Monday, March 23. Well, on Friday, March 20 I get a phone call from my mom (she has been in PR for over a week now) telling me that my grandma, Carmen, had to have an emergency surgery and was in the hospital. Now, remember a few entries ago I said the reason we were heading down to Puerto Rico was so that my grandma could meet Jaxon. Well, this was going to put a damper on things, but ever the optimist, I figured she would be fine by Tuesday. Unfortunately, things did not turn out that way. Instead of going into ALL of the details I will just let you know that she is still in ICU with a breathing tube in and quite sedated. So needless to say, she did not get to meet her latest great-grandson. :( I am super sad about that. We are all just praying that she gets better and maybe there will be a trip back to PR in the summer.

So now let's get into the events that only happen to the Pearson's!
Jaxon did really well on both flights out there, thanks to a little Benadryl! Our first leg was from ABQ to Houston. He slept for about an hour (no Bendaryl yet, just tired from being woken up at 4:30 am) Yup, that's right our travels began EARLY! We arrive in Houston at around 10:00am we only have a 45 minute layover. So I quickly change Jaxon from his jammies into his cute little outfit while Brian goes to find some snack for our 4 hour flight. We get on the plane with no problem, settle in, give Jaxon his Benadryl and off we go. He slept for about 2 1/2 hours of the trip... not too shabby! Well, we are now landing in San Juan when Brian all of a sudden lets out an expletive. Apparently he can't find his phone. Now, if you know Brian, you know that this is his life line and pretty much can't function without his phone. Me, always the voice of reason and calmness (since I am writing this I can praise myself all I want! :) ), say,
"Don't freak out. I'm sure it's in the bag."
"I don't thing it's in the bag. I think I left it at the gate in Houston."
"I'm sure you didn't. Let's wait till everyone is off the plane then we'll look."
We search and search and search. NOTHING!!! O crap, this isn't going to be good. This isn't a good start to our vacation. So, we go down to the baggage claim office, they call Houston. The gate agent found something, but the person on the phone doesn't know what. More expletives from my husband, as you can imagine. He was not a happy camper. SUPER! I am now going to have to put up with this for a week. Fast forward to a few hours later THEY FOUND HIS PHONE!!! Can you believe it?! someone turned it in! Rose in the Houston airport FedExed it to my grandparent's house in Puerto Rico and Brian had his phone by Wednesday morning! Yippee!

On Tuesday, Brian, Jax & I head over to my Abuela Chabe's house (Carmen, the one in the hospital). This is where my mom is staying along with her brother. We pull up to her house and directly across the street we see this:

Yes, Ladies and Gentlemen, that would be an iguana trying its hardest to get into the elementary school across the street.

Later that night at my other grandmother's house we run across a Coqui! Now, coqui's are very special to Puerto Rico. They are small tree frogs that can only survive in Puerto Rico. As soon as the sun goes down they start singing their song, "coqui, coqui coqui" It may be annoying to the average person, but to use Puerto Ricans it is music to our ears! In all of my years I have NEVER seen a coqui. So here it is:

We found him sitting on an old hamper outside.

After we took the first picture he jumped to the wall. This is him upside down.

I took a video of them singing. It's actually just audio so turn down the music on my playlist and enjoy the coquis!

Wednesday was beach day! Brian, Jax, my mom & I headed up to San Juan (about 30 minutes away) to introduce Jaxon to the ocean. We had a nice time. It was a bit short because we were intruding on Jaxon's nap time, plus we had to go back to Caguas (where my family lives) to drop off Jax & my mom then head back to San Juan for our mini-vaca.

Once we dropped Jaxon and my mom off in Caguas, Brian and I headed up to San Juan again for our vacation! Yippee! The moment we exit the freeway and are about 5 minutes from the hotel Brian says another expletive. What now I wonder? Oh, he left his "going out" shirts at my grandma's! AHHH! Are you kidding me? Can this man forgot anything else? I was a bit annoyed with him at this point (did I mention he spent the entire 30 minute drive on the phone because of work? I wish his phone would have stayed lost a bit longer!) He wants to turn around and go back to get his shirts! No way! I say. I call my mom and ask her if by any chance anyone is going to be in the San Juan area the next day to bail us out. Luckily one of her brothers works about a mile away from our hotel! Can Brian be any luckier?

We are now in our room and it is not clean at all! There are long black hairs on the bed, stains on the carpet that Brian said was blood (he's a bit dramatic),etc. Could things go any more wrong for us? Seriously! We call the front desk, tell them our concerns and we are in a new, clean, bigger room within 5 minutes. Whew! Time for a mojito (or 2 or 3) and some relaxation!

Our time in San Juan was interesting. The 1st night we went to eat at a Puerto Rican restaurant and while we were eating a TV crew comes by to film the restaurant. Think Rachael Ray's $40 a Day. While we are eating the TV host asks if he can interview us. SURE!! We want to be famous. Unfortunately, the show airs in the Middle East! Bummer.

The next day we toured Old San Juan. We came across a local cigar shop so Brian had to stop by. He went in to shop while I stayed outside. The next thing I know, the owner is lighting a cigar for Brian and BP starts smoking away. Then, I hear the owner ask Brian if he can take his picture for the website. Too funny. the website is I just checked, but his picture isn't up yet.

BP smoking and shopping.
While walking around we came across a kindergarten class on a field trip! CRAZY! As a teacher I was stressed out! I can't even imagine taking my class to Old San Juan. the funny thing is, is that one of my earliest school memories is going on a field trip to Old San Juan in Kinder.

A parent is trying to get a class picture. If you are a primary teacher, you know how fun this can be! I was entertained and stressing at the same time. I am happy to know that kindergartners are the same everywhere and that I am not a bad teacher when my kids don't cooperate.

Here are some pictures from Old San Juan

On the way to Old San Juan

In front of a plaza

In front of the Chapel of Christ. I think I have watched one too many modeling reality shows!

The streets of Old San Juan

Later that night we go out to a little pub, and I mean little. While sitting there an American guy walks in with a parrot!

I think this guys needs a make over!

Don't ask me why we are giving a thumbs up! That guy was nuts!

By the way, the parrot's name was Ricky Martin! hee hee

After our mini-vacation we had some family time. Which was nice. Here are a few pics

We visited one of my uncles in Ponce,PR. He took us to a marina:

Jax had a great time looking at the pelicans, fish and feeling the wind in his hair.

Jaxon with his great grandparents. He had so much fun with my grandfather!

One of my cousin's little boy, Luis. He was so sweet to Jaxon, he tried giving Jax his pacifier.

That's it! That's our BIG trip to the Island of Enchantment. I am very happy that Jaxon was able to meet and spend time with my family. Everyone was in love with him (how could you not be :) ). I do love going back, it is truly a beautiful place, the people are so friendly and the food is amazing!


Nicole said...

I am so jealous!!! I want to go somewhere tropical... maybe like 40 pounds lighter though. I'm glad you had fun. You are so adventurous- taking him on such long plane trips. Big thumbs up to you (maybe it's cuz I am terrified of flying that I avoid it like the plague). Happy you're home and safe... next trip to Tucson:)

kershner3 said...

Looks like you had a great time! I hope your grandma gets better soon. That liitle Jaxon is so cute!! I just love those cheeks and those beautiful eyes!

Fisher Family said...

I am with Nicole! Super jealous- would love to be on any warm beach right about now: ) And I need a good -50 lbs. (don't let Nicole fool you, she is beautiful and all baby)I do hope your grandma is doing better. I loved looking at all the pictures. How did Jaxon like the sand? And OMG, hubbies... I think they would loose their heads if they were not attached. Gotta love em. oxox