Saturday, March 7, 2009

Sick Baby and All Alone

Yesterday was Friday, which meant a teaching day for me. Towards the end of the school day I check my cell phone and notice a few texts from Brian and a voicemail from Brian. I check the texts that say, "I got Jax, pay Vanessa on Tuesday." I was a bit confused because it was my day to pick up Jaxon, it was WAY early for Brian to pick him up since he should have been working and why would I pay the babysitter Tuesday we always pay on Friday. So I decide to check my voicemail. Apparently Vanessa (babysitter) called Brian to ask him to get Jaxon because his cough had gotten worse, he was crying inconsolably, hadn't slept or eaten all day and had a 100.4 fever. POOR BABY! Brian gets him home, he drinks 3 oz and goes to sleep. I think he just wanted his own bed. He was still sleeping when I got home 2 hours later. In the meantime, Brian had called the doctor and he basically said not to bring him in because there wasn't much that could be done, but told us things to do that we already knew. He did save us a $20 copay though!
At 4:30 pm I went into his room to check on him and he was covered (head to toe) in vomit looking so pathetic! I felt so sad. So anyway, I gave him a bath and Brian washed & changed EVERYTHING in his crib. Then Brian left! He was scheduled to go to San Francisco for a training today. I was on my own with a sick little boy. I have to say, I admire single moms! It is not so easy to take care of a pukey baby all by yourself.
We had another vomit incident later that night. It was time for bed so I lay him down and walk away. He starts crying and crying. I go back to his room and he just loses his cookies! It was the saddest sight I have seen. Puke is coming out of his nose and he is just crying. Poor little guy, he has no idea what just happened to him. Out of the crib he goes. I clean him up, change his jammie (thankfully it wasn't in his hair!), set him on the floor to begin the changing of sheets process.
The silver lining is that it was in his crib, on blankets and not on the carpet or couch. The not-so-silver lining was that I had to change his sheets again. For those of you who have ever changed crib sheets know that it is not an easy task, especially with a baby that is sitting on the floor crying his eyes out because all he wants to do is cuddle with his mama. Now everything is in the washing machine and back to bed Jaxon goes, or so I thought! He had other plans.
Again, cry, cry,cry. I figure he is sick, it's okay to break my bedtime rules. We sit in his rocking chair and he just cuddles up! I have said before Jaxon is not a cuddler, so this was a nice treat, even if he was sick. After about 5 minutes he fell asleep. I kept him on my lap for a bit longer, selfishly enjoying this rare cuddle moment, then back to bed he went. I was praying for no more puke as I placed him in his crib. I can happily say that he didn't throw up again last night!
He was up crying a few times through out the night, which is where the being alone was a bummer! No one to share the middle-of-the-night duties.
Jaxon did wake up happy and feeling MUCH better this morning! Yippee! No more vomiting or fever. Just congestion and a cough. I can deal with that.

No comments: